Case Study: Fire Safety induction
at London South Bank University (LSBU)
- Provide 23,000+ students with Fire Safety awareness
- Content must be customisable
- Solution must be simple and cost-effective
- Need to demonstrate statutory compliance
LSBU’s two-part solution:
- Learning materials (to create awareness)
- Online quiz (to demonstrate compliance)
1. Learning materials
Adrian (the Fire Safety Officer at LSBU) develops his own tutorial as a set of PowerPoint slides, which he then uploads onto the University's intranet in PDF format. Here is Adrian's Fire Safety tutorial (PDF).
Benefits to Adrian:
- he uses technology he is familiar and comfortable with
- he can create content that is relevant to LSBU
- he can easily update the tutorial himself at any time
Tip: The learning materials can be developed and presented in any form, e.g. presentation in person, online video, podcast, animation, etc. For example, here is a Fire Safety video produced by Queen Mary, University of London.
2. Online quiz
Adrian adapts his PowerPoint tutorial to create a set of multiple-choice questions, which are also in PowerPoint. These are designed to test students' understanding of the content covered in the tutorial. Here are Adrian's Fire Safety PowerPoint quiz slides. (The quiz can be created in any program that can output a PPT or PDF file.) Once the slides for the quiz are ready, Adrian uploads the file to the QuizSlides platform which:
- hosts the quiz
- marks the quiz
- keeps a record of who took the quiz, their responses and overall scores
- calculates statistics indicating which questions most students got wrong etc.
- issues certificates to students who achieve sufficiently high scores
How does Adrian use QuizSlides?
- Adrian uploads the quiz to the QuizSlides platform
- he identifies the correct answer to each question
- he can set the pass mark, set a timer, create automated email reminders, etc.
- his quiz is published at a unique URL
- once the quiz has been created, Adrian can include a link to it; the link is visible at the end of Adrian's Fire Safety tutorial (PDF) (a link to the quiz can be emailed to all students, it can be written on a whiteboard at the end of a face-to-face training, it can be included at the end of a video, etc.)
- students take the quiz on a computer – or a tablet or smartphone – after clicking on the link and identifying themselves; no pre-registration is required. Click on the image below to see Adrian's quiz:
- students can re-take the quiz as many times as they like (if Adrian has enabled retakes), and they are emailed a certificate of completion when they pass
- Adrian logs in to view the results to date, and he can download the data in the form of an Excel spreadsheet, which enables him to show evidence of statutory compliance to the authorities
LSBU’s solution creates awareness and it demonstrates compliance
This simple solution provides an auditable online Fire Safety induction package for all of LSBU's students. The key points are that the University has taken steps to educate its students about Fire Safety, and it is able to show evidence of statutory compliance.
For more information contact: email@example.com